Monday, October 14, 2013

Planet of the Apes

I am not too sure how many remakes there are of this movie, but when I heard we were going to watch it, I automatically thought of Mark Walhbergs film, which I quite enjoyed.
I really liked this version, which is surprising because I thought I would have disliked it since it was so old and they had so many other newer remakes out there. But similar to the Mark's version, and not the 2012 version, the apes were actual costumes and NOT CGI. I love when movies use actual costumes, it makes it feel so much more real. For example, the costumes/models in Alien or The Thing make the movie 5 times more scarier and more entertaining. When I saw the new planet of the apes, all the apes were CGI. I knew what I was watching, and I knew I was watching nothing but a man in a green suit. It's not the same, and espcially does not look the same.
Since I saw the other movies first, I was obviously comparing this 1960s one to the newer versions, but this one is so original and creative. I wasn't bored at all throughout the film, which I have been with previous movies we've watched.

I think this movie could have easily scared people because it was obvious how quickly technology was growing and the possibility that this could happen, with the creation theory, probably frightened people into thinking it was actually possible. This movie also emphasized the forceful nature of man and how we have treated others, keeping people as slaves and scientific advancements. Like the newer films, I think there was a lot of symbolism in the film, including human rights, not to mention how society is kind of split into two different groups. And what do we do? We fight and we don't get along. Also, at least one side has to be the dominate one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment