Monday, October 14, 2013

2001: A Space Odyssey

2001 was a completely terrifying film. The idea of life, death, E.T., technology, etc., were all brought into one and captured a surreal and terrifying futuristic experience. Sadly, due to slow pace of the film and the complete randomness towards the end, I found it hard to understand it's main plot and general idea.

There were so many different ideas made throughout the film. The idea of human evolution was a big part of the film, which I am assuming confused a lot of people, especially at the end. Technology played a huge role in the film, of course. It really gave that scary perspective of how it could easily take over us and take advantage of us if we allow it to.

The characters in the film were pretty monotone and uninteresting. The only interesting character was HAL, and he wasn't even a human. The ship could also be considered a character as well, since the audience got to really get the feel of it, what it looked like, how big it was, etc. It would have been interesting to add maybe some humor or more character development within the film.

What an interesting and trippy movie. I have seen this before, and I understood a lot more watching it a second time, but I was still not impressed. Like others who have critiqued this film, I had a hard time focusing and staying awake. It is too long, too boring and too slow. Personally, I like things that keep me interested and this did not do the job. A lot of the scenes were way too long and were definitely not necessary. I am pretty sure we did not have to watch the main character take out each damn memory stick of Hal! That took forever. I understand its appeal, but this is not my favorite movie and I will probably never see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment